AIR TRAFFIC SERVICES PERSONNEL
(See Part XII)
1. Background Check.— Before enrolling a person for undergoing the air traffic control training, the training organisation shall obtain a report on the background check from the concerned government agency and the proof of the background check shall be submitted to the licensing authority at the time of submission of the application for issue of the licence.
2. Application for grant of a licence or rating.— (a) The application for issue or validation or renewal of a licence or rating shall be made to the Director-General on a specified proforma, and shall be accompanied by –
(i) an assessment of medical fitness issued by the approved medical authority or Director-General;
(ii) Three unmounted photographs of size 3 cms X 4 cms of the applicant’s head (uncovered) and shoulders in front view;
(iii) Class X certificate of a recognized Board or its equivalent or the Birth Certificate issued by a Municipal Corporation or Committee as proof of age;
(iv) payment of the specified fee;
(v) Proof of meeting the educational qualification, knowledge and experience requirements; and
(vi) Any other information required by the Director-General.
(b) The date of application shall be the date on which the application is received in the office of the Director-General.
(c) The licences and ratings specified in this Schedule shall be issued in the name as entered in the Class X certificate of a recognised Board or its equivalent.
3. Application for renewal of licence.— (a) The application for renewal of a licence or rating shall be made on a specified proforma to the Director-General or to any other authority designated by him in this behalf, and shall be accompanied by –
(i) an assessment of medical fitness issued by the Director-General referred to in rule 103;
(ii) a statement of the recency experience duly authenticated by the person in-charge of the concerned Air Traffic Services Units;
(iii) payment of the specified fee; and
(iv) any other information required by the Director-General.
(b) The date of application shall be the date on which the application is received in the office of the Director-General, or in any other office designated for this purpose by the Director-General.
4. Examination.— (a) The applicant for issue of a Student Air Traffic Controller’s Licence or Air Traffic Controller’s Licence or a rating shall be required to pass the examinations conducted in the manner specified by the Director-General.
(b) The candidate shall, on demand by the examiner, furnish proof for his identification before the examination.
(c) An applicant who fails in any examination shall not be permitted to appear for re-examination within a period of at least two weeks from the date of examination.
5. Assessment by the examiner or board.— For getting an endorsement, the holder of a Student Air Traffic Controller’s Licence or an Air Traffic Controller’s Licence shall be assessed by an examiner duly authorised by the Director-General or by a board of examiners constituted in the manner specified by the Director-General.
6. Validity of examination and experience.—(a) The applicant for a licence or rating shall have passed the examination for issuing a licence or rating within a period of not more than three years preceding the date of application.
(b) The experience specified in Sections D, E, F, G, H and J shall be completed within the six months period immediately preceding the date of application for the rating sought.
(c) In case the validity of an examination expires on a holiday, it shall be automatically extended to the next working day.
7. On-the-job training requirement.— The holder of a Student Air Traffic Controller’s Licence or an Air Traffic Controller’s Licence shall be required to undergo the on-the-job training under an authorised instructor for a period specified in this Schedule for grant of a particular rating:
Provided that where the licensing authority, having regard to the traffic volume of the air traffic unit for which the rating is being sought and experience of the licence holder, is satisfied, it may approve the on-the-job training of a shorter period than the one specified in the Schedule.
Provided further that when two air traffic controller ratings are sought concurrently, the licence holder shall meet the experience requirements of the rating which requires the higher experience for such rating.
8. Conditions precedent to exercise of privileges.— (a) No person holding a current Air Traffic Controller’s Licence shall exercise the privileges of his licence or rating unless he meets competency, recency and language proficiency requirement and medical standards, as applicable to him in accordance with these rules.
(b) The holder of a licence shall not exercise the privilege of their licence and related ratings while under the influence of alcohol or any psychoactive substance, which might render him unable to safely and properly exercise the privileges of the licences and ratings.
9. Recency requirement.— A licence holder is considered to be recent in respect of rating and endorsement on his licence if he has worked for a period of minimum ten hours in a period of three days in respect of a particular ratings during preceding six months.
10. Language proficiency.— (a) An applicant for grant of Student Air Traffic Controller’s Licence or Air Traffic Controller’s Licence shall have the ability to speak and understand the English language used for radiotelephony communications to the level of proficiency specified by the Director-General.
(b) The level of proficiency shall be evaluated in accordance with the procedures specified by the Director-General.
(c) The licencing authority shall indicate the level of proficiency in the licence.
[Inserted by GSR No 64(E) dated 3-2-2012; and
Amended by GSR 1089(E) dated 05-11-2018]